One day after school, back when I was 13 or 14 years old, I remember coming home and thinking “I’m going to make myself a sandwich with all of my favorite things”. It made absolute perfect sense at the time. I grabbed two pieces of bread and covered them with peanut butter. And then I started layering. BBQ flavored potato chips. Banana slices. M&Ms. Miniature marshmallows. Dill pickle spears. My thought was this – if I liked all of these things separately, surely they’d taste amazing smashed together into one ultimate sandwich. Sadly, I was mistaken.
When I came across this recipe on Pinterest the other day, it made me think of my “ultimate sandwich”. Much like that sandwich, it contained a variety of my favorite things thrown together into one snack: Chocolate Chips, Peanut butter, Bananas, Coconut.
Luckily for me, this recipe turned out MUCH better than the sandwich.
FROZEN CHOCOLATE-PEANUT BUTTER BANANA BITES
In the mood for something cold and sweet? These little treats will do it! I’ve convinced myself that they are healthy for you because they’re made of bananas (a fruit!), unsweetened coconut (unsweetened fiber!), and peanut butter (protein!). They’re like a chocolate coated vitamin… right? Well, maybe not. But hey, eating a few of these is way better for you than downing a peanut butter chocolate banana split, that I know. Original recipe found here.
- 2 large bananas, cut into 1.5 inch chunks
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup peanut butter
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Melt chocolate and peanut butter together in a bowl.
- Dunk banana chunks in melted mixture and place on a piece of waxed paper. Continue until all banana chunks are coated and pour remaining chocolate/peanut butter mixture over bananas.
- Sprinkle with coconut.
- Place in freezer and eat whenever you like.