My husband and I are on a diet. That makes days like today torture. I volunteered to take a delicious treat to our church’s ice cream social tonight and decided to make cake batter rice crispy squares. I came across the recipe several weeks ago on Pinterest and made the decision to whip up a batch the next chance I had – and that chance was today.
Because we are eating healthy, our kitchen is void of all things delicious (i.e. sugary, fatty, carbohydratey, evil-y) which meant I had to make a quick run to the grocery store. It’s been weeks since I’ve shopped for anything outside of the lean protein, fruit and veg sections and the aroma from the cake mix and chocolate chip and frosting isle made me feel like I was floating on a sweet candy coated sprinkle studded cloud… I’d still be there now if I hadn’t been on a deadline.
The cake batter rice crispy treat recipe I used comes from my favorite food blog, http://www.HowSweetEats.com. If you’ve never checked out her blog before, I strongly suggest you do so. Reading her blog is my favorite way to start the day.
Jeff (i.e. “husband”) helped me in the kitchen – both with the making of the treats and with keeping me from eating them all before the ice cream social tonight. I told him that I refused to put anything on the desert table at church that I haven’t personally tested myself, so we decided that we’d allow ourselves to each have the teeniest of the tiniest samples. Upon doing so, my husband exclaimed “I feel like my sweet tooth just woke up and screamed ‘HEY!!!’”
While the rice crispy treats were delicious, we both felt as though they weren’t cake batter-y enough. Jeff came up with the BRILLIANT idea of making a cake batter frosting to go on top. Immediately we opened the door to our fridge to see what all we had – cabbage, strawberries, limes, ground turkey, soy milk, and… CREAM CHEESE! We grabbed the cream cheese and soy milk, mixed it together with some of the unused cake mix and came up with quite possibly the most brilliant frosting I’ve ever had the pleasure of licking off a spatula.
As my husband pointed out, the best part about these treats is that they are totally dieter friendly! I mean, when you only allow yourself to eat 1 TBSP of the entire batch I’m pretty sure that you can assume you’ve burned the same amount of calories making the treat as you actually consumed.
Cake Batter Rice Crispy Squares w/ Cake Batter Frosting
- 3 TBSP margarine or butter
- 1 (10 oz) pkg miniature marshmallows
- 6 c rice crispy cereal
- 1 (1.75 oz) container of sprinkles
- ½ c yellow cake mix, divided
- ¼ c cream cheese (we used 1/3 fat)
- 3 TBSP milk (we used Vanilla Soy Light)
- Over a low heat melt butter and marshmallows.
- While you wait for your butter and marshmallows to reach a nice and smooth consistency, butter a 9×9 cake pan.
- Add ¼ cup of the cake mix and stir until combined. Pour in the rice crispy cereal and sprinkles. I found it much easier to accomplish even distribution of sprinkles when you poured them in while someone else stirred.
- Pat (lightly – unless you want super dense bricks. Then by all means, press press away) mixture into your butter cake pan with buttered hands.
- To make the frosting simply combine the cream cheese with the other ¼ cup of cake mix. Stir until no longer lumpy. Add milk to thin out.
- Spread on top of treats and ENJOY.